In IBM Lotus Notes client, NSF database stores emails, calendars and other types of data. Managing Lotus Notes NSF file size limit is always a challenging task for Lotus Notes users. Though there are multiple options for configuring the storage limit of NSF database, sometimes the file may cross its definite size limit. This may cause NSF file management issues, and sometimes even corruption. Through this very article, you’ll learn “how to split NSF file” so that you can easily manage your Lotus Notes emails without facing corruption.
IBM Lotus Notes
Lotus Notes client provided by IBM (International Business Machines) Corporation is highly popular among organizational users as well as business individuals. Both these types of users prefer working with IBM Lotus Notes application. Why? It’s just because the IBM Lotus Notes client provides an all-in-one platform to perform multiple tasks at the same time. IBM Notes offers you many business collaboration features, such as emails, calendars, contacts management, to-do lists, discussion forums, file sharing, microblogging, instant messaging, teamrooms, blogs, and user directories.
Sometimes IBM Lotus Notes users may face NSF database management issues. Why? It’s just because the NSF database has a size limitation issue.
Few common error messages
- “Your mail file has exceeded its quota. You should delete messages and archive.”
- “Warning, database has exceeded its size warning threshold.”
- “Cannot allocate database object – would exceed its disk quota.”
You may face aforementioned error messages due to NSF file size limitation issue. It’s always difficult to manage an oversized NSF database. Even sometimes users confront corruption issues which may result in data loss. Being an IBM Notes user, it’s your responsibility to double check the NSF file size. Whenever you notice that the NSF database is reaching its maximum size limit, you must take the corrective measures.
- First of all, make sure you have no irrelevant emails. Unnecessary email messages consume a lot of space in an NSF database. You must remove or delete them permanently in order to get more free space.
- You should smartly manage the attachments. How? You should download all the attachments from the mailbox and save them safely somewhere on your system. After that, there’s no need to have the attachments in the mailbox. So you can delete them from the NSF database. By doing this, you’ll get more free space.
- By default, the sent items are saved automatically to the NSF database. If you don’t need the sent items, you should delete them. And for the future reference, you can change the automatic save settings for sent email messages, i.e. disable it.
- If you have some rarely used but important items, it’s better you should archive them. And after that, you can remove them from the main NSF database. Also, you can remove the old Lotus Notes attributes like calendar entries, to-do lists, notes, appointments, etc. This will help you generate more free space.
IBM Lotus Notes users might also be interested in Merge NSF Files into a Single File
Compact NSF database
Whenever a file becomes large, it’s always intelligible to compact its size. If you think the file size is large, you must compact NSF database. There’s no harm in doing that. To compact the NSF database in IBM Lotus Notes, follow these simple steps:
- Launch IBM Lotus Notes application on your system. Click File > Database.
- Now click Properties. You can see a new Database Properties window will appear.
- Open the Information tab, and click the Compact button.
There’s one more thing you can try here, split NSF file.
Split NSF File
If you have a large NSF database, you can split it into two or multiple parts. It’s considered one of the best and effective solutions you can ever try. There’s a built-in feature in IBM Lotus Notes client that can help you drag and drop the items from the main NSF database into new databases. This process may take enough time, especially if you have a large amount of mailbox content. In such a situation, you should look forward to a professional solution to split NSF file.
NSF Split Software to Split NSF File
SysInfoTools NSF Split software is an award-winning solution for Lotus Notes users. It can safely split NSF file into two or multiple smaller parts without causing any alteration to the original mailbox content, i.e. the original NSF files remain intact. In this software, you get 3 options to split NSF file: split by size, split by date, and split by senders’ email IDs. NSF Split software is available with the demo version for free evaluation. By using demo version, you can save first 25 email items from each selected mailbox folder of the main NSF database into new files.
A large NSF database can cause serious problems including file corruption. So if you have a large NSF database, you should split it into two or multiple parts. In this article, we’ve learned how to split NSF file into multiple smaller parts by using a professional NSF Split tool. Although you can use the drag & drop feature of IBM Lotus Notes to move the items from one NSF to another, it may be a time-consuming process.